Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Portsmouth have a new owner!

It is official now. Suliaman Al Fahim is the new owner of Portsmouth Football Club. This is fantastic news for all Pompey fans.

Of course the takeover has been wrought with difficulties, changing expectations, and rumours galore. That hasn't changed, the first piece of news out of Fratton was that Paul Hart officially had his interim tag removed and he is now the manager of Portsmouth. To say I was a little surprised when I saw this is a bit of an understatement. Now don't get me wrong, Paul Hart is a decent manager and all the players love him, but I think he may be a tad overrated since he got to follow Tony Adams. Hart led us to safety and at the end of last season I wouldn't have been surprised to see him named full time boss, until I heard about the takeover.

As soon as Suliaman Al Fahim was linked with Portsmouth so were, Slaven Bilić, Roberto Mancini, and Sven Goran-Eriksson. You may recall that I even wrote a post about it. As I have already mentioned I think that Hart is a decent manager, but he is not in the same class as any of the other managers that I just mentioned. I fully admit to thinking that Mancini would be the next Pompey boss. The one thing that I am worried about is that to succeed in the Premier League you need to be more than a decent manager.

The other hiccup that fans have noticed is that the buying power that we were rumoured to have with the new owner doesn't seem to have materialised. The rumour is that there were other investors who did not want to be subjected to the Fit & Proper Persons test (a requirement for anyone owning more than 10% of a Premier League Club). This means that Pompey are still looking for transfer bargains.

I know that all Canadians will agree with me that there is not a better bargain out there than Julian de Guzman, who is available on a free transfer after parting ways with Deportivo La Coruña. With some of the selling that we have done, we need help in all positions. At least with Hart in place we can start to bring in new players as we now have someone in charge. Given that the preseason is already underway I hope that we start signing people quickly.

Peter Storrie has mentioned that Portsmouth have 3 or 4 players lined up who could be signed quickly plus another 3 or 4 that they are looking at. I am looking forward to figuring out who these players are. As it happens, Pompey are playing their first preseason match tonight against Havant & Waterlooville (you may remember their FA Cup run). There are few players with us on trial plus a bunch of players that I have never heard of.

Hopefully by the time that the season starts we will have a better idea what the squad looks like, and the sort of year that we can expect. I am interested to here your thoughts, so vote in my poll and let me know where you think that Pompey will end up next May.

Play Up Pompey! Pompey Play Up!

4 comments:

Zach Lawton said...

Take as many points as you want, just dont take 6 away from Liverpool.
:)

Serie_AHH said...

I was suprised to hear Hart as full-time manager. I don't think that he has the ability to take Portsmouth to the top half of the table.

I think it is too late in this transfer window for Portsmouth to catch the top half of the table. I see them finishing in 13-16th place.

This is an exciting time to be a Portsmouth supporter. Having a stable owner who, from what I have seen, is excited to buidl the club and not just play with a new toy is something to be excited about.

Pompey Canuck said...

Zach - ever since we sold Matty Taylor we haven't been great at getting points off Liverpool, we even lost to the B team last year.

Serie_Ahh - I too was surprised that Hart was named the full time boss. I am not confident of his ability to lead us to where I want to be going. That said you hit the nail on the head when you said it is an exciting time to be a Portsmouth supporter. Perhaps you have found your Premier League team?

Unknown said...

The hunt for the most beautiful pair certainly will not be easy if you want a Christian Shoes in your feet. The real reason for Christian Louboutin Boots is that you may have several types of varieties to pick from therefore the choice is not going to be uncomplicated. But, on the flip side, you'll possess the right set for any specific dress to be used with. The imitation Christian Louboutin Pumps offers the best and newest of Special editions along with the conventional style of the designer Christian Louboutin Sandals .


scarpe Hogan owes it popularity to the famous basketball player Michael Jordan although Michael Jordan never preferred this brand but he gave hogan donna idea to launch a new series of shoes called Air Jordan and the rest is history. The conventional trend of white Hogan scarpe uomo for basketball was replaced with bold red and black colors for its shoes that made the shoe look bold and beautiful. Many versions including celebrity exclusives, special holiday shoes and limited color ways was launched by Hogan uomo .


Now you've probably realized that the GUNSMOKE that comes on your PC or Mac won’t let you burn, rip or copy a protected GUNSMOKE DVD . They do this to stop pirating. However, legally you're allowed to make copies for yourself. That's why their so many different GUNSMOKE DVD COLLECTION to help you do this.